This is an easy and simple fruit salad of strawberries and oranges. The seasons of these two fruits overlap for a few magical weeks, this is one of the many ways to enjoy their bounty!
Strawberry Ginger Compote
1-pint ripe strawberries
2 Valencia, Cara Cara, or another sweet eating orange
1 very small knob fresh ginger
2 tsp local orange blossom honey (optional)
- Rinse strawberries lightly with cold water and let drain well, first in a colander and then on a clean towel.
- With the tip of a small sharp paring knife, remove the stem and core of the strawberry and then cut them in quarters or eighths, reserve in a small bowl.
- With a microplane or other fine cheese grater, scrape the peel from one of the oranges into the bowl of cut strawberries.
- Cut the ends off the oranges and place the orange on one cut end.
- Cut off the peel, following the shape of the orange from top to bottom, removing as much of the white pith as possible. Then, holding the orange in the palm of your hand, carefully cut between the membrane and fruit of each section, releasing the “supremes” or peeled sections of an orange.
- Place orange sections in the bowl with the strawberries and squeeze any remaining juice over the fruit.
- Grate the ginger and mix into the fruit to taste.
- Place the fruit in a serving bowl or deep dish plate and drizzle with the orange blossom, honey.
- Serve right away or chill up to 4 hours before serving.