Who doesn’t love strawberry shortcake? The most delicious shortcakes are actually simple biscuits made with buttermilk and cream as perfected by our friend Samin Nosrat.
Strawberry Shortcake with Cream Biscuits
3.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup heavy cream, plus ¼ cup for brushing biscuits before baking
3 pints strawberries
¼ cup sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
2 TBS sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Set up 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the butter into small chunks and return to the refrigerator.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.
- Work half the butter into the flour mixture for several minutes until it is fine grained like cornmeal.
- Then add the remaining butter and combine until the butter is broken into small chunks but still visible.
- Make a well in the mixture and pour in the buttermilk and cream.
- Combine until the dough just comes together.
- Place on a floured countertop and gently shape into a rectangle, about 9”x13”.
- Roll gently with a rolling pin and fold over, rolling again. Repeat the fold and roll 3 times, sprinkling flour if your dough starts to stick.
- Cut the biscuits any size you like with a biscuit cutter or a wine glass, make sure to clean and flour your cutter before you cut each biscuit.
- Place cut biscuits on the baking sheets with room between them to ensure even browning.
- Brush biscuits with cream and place in the oven.
- Bake for a total of about 15-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
- Biscuits should be nicely browned and feel light when cooked.
- Cool on a rack for 5 minutes and serve warm if possible!
- Wash strawberries quickly under running water, drain well, and let dry on a clean towel.
- With the tip of a small sharp paring knife, remove the stem and core of the strawberries and then cut them in quarters or eighths or slice them, then reserve in a small bowl.
- Take 1 cup of the sliced berries and place in a Cuisinart or blender with the sugar and lemon juice, blend until completely smooth.
- Pour over sliced strawberries and mix gently to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Combine cream, sugar, and vanilla. Then, whip to soft peaks.
- Just before serving, cut the warm biscuits in half and place the bottom half on a plate.
- Place a generous scoop of berries and sauce onto the biscuit.
- The fruit and juice should mound on the biscuit with some tumbling off onto the plate.
- Dollop with the whipped cream and place the biscuit top on the cream.\