Where do we even begin with guacamole? How about with the avocado! Avocados are native to Southern California and Mexico and have a long growing season, meaning we’re lucky enough to enjoy local, seasonal avocados all year long. And while sliced avocado can be used in many dishes, more often than not we’re mashing it up into that exalted dip, that tangy, tasty concoction we know and love: guacamole.
Beyond just avocado, there are so many ways you can go with ingredients when it comes to guacamole. That’s why we reached out to the experts, our friends at Puesto, to get their take on the perfect guacamole. In talking with Katy Smith, Puesto’s Executive Creative Chef, it was clear we shared a love for fresh, clean ingredients, with lots of flavors. Read on for her tips for making great guacamole every time, her favorite add-ins, and Puesto’s Perfect Guacamole recipe.
The Basics and Beyond
Katy’s advice for nailing the perfect guacamole every time? Always add a generous amount of acid (citrus) and salt. Once you have a solid base, dress it up with some of Katy’s favorite add-ins*:
- Cubed Ripe Mango and Lime
- Chopped Crispy Bacon
- Cooked King Crab
- Chicharrones and Hot Sauce
- Strawberries and Basil
- Katy’s party tip: Create a guacamole station where people can add their own toppings.
Puesto Perfect Guacamole
- 3 Ripe Avocados
- 1/3 cup diced white onions
- ½ habanero chile, minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime and ¼ of an orange
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit Juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cubes parmigiana Reggiano
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the meat into a mixing bowl.
- Mash avocados leaving some large chunks — an old-fashioned potato masher will do the trick!
- Fold in the onions, cilantro, chili, citrus, and salt.
- Place into a bowl and top with parmesan.