Starting with farm-fresh ingredients and ending with a delicious, nutritious meal, our Farm to Fork program equips children and adults to make healthy, self-sufficient food choices. Each workshop begins with hands-on exploration of The Ecology Center’s vegetable garden, where participants learn to identify ingredients and assess their ripeness through sight, smell and taste. After gathering ingredients from the farm, participants collaborate to learn and refine food preparation skills from professional local chefs known for emphasizing seasonal, locally grown ingredients. The workshop culminates in a banquet of small-plate meals shared and enjoyed together.
We’ve gathered some of the greatest minds in farming, food, education, and design to make a one-of-a-kind “cooking class” experience—one that is perfect for making the most of our Farm Share Harvest Box—with elements including:
- Skills, practical knowledge, and value for using seasonal ingredients
- A farm tour and forage of ingredients to develop plant identification and harvesting skills.
- Basic recipe development.
- Techniques for ingredient preparation, as well as balancing flavors and textures.
- Past chef instructors include in-house culinary staff as well as notable chefs such as Samin Nosrat,
- Farm to Fork is designed for adults ages 18+.
- Farm to Fork: Kids! is designed for children ages 6-12; a parent or caregiver must be present.