From the field to the barn there are many ways to lend a hand to this land. Our volunteer program brings hundreds of people together every week, working in small groups in multiple areas, to help support our staff and our mission at The Ecology Center.
So how can you get involved?
It’s pretty easy.
- Sign up for our volunteer email list. It comes out weekly on Sunday mornings!
- Read over the volunteer opportunities for the week ahead. There will be a combination of one-time commitments AND openings on our established teams.
- RSVP directly in the email to a role that works for you. *Make sure you can definitely attend before you commit. With a hugecommunity of folks interested in helping, an RSVP you don’t attend takes an opportunity for participation away from someone else!
- Write your shift on your calendar and come 10 minutes early to walk the courtyard and enjoy the space!
- When you arrive, please fill out our volunteer application and liability form before doing anything else. Our volunteer coordinator or your staff lead will help you!
- After you’re done, fill out your hours here. This is really important! It helps our team track volunteer hours and when a certain number of hours are met, establishes you as a Co-Op Member of the farm. This means you can receive a discount every time you shop in the Farm Stand!
WHAT KIND OF WORK WILL YOU DO?
Some of our teams and dedicated roles include: Market Garden Farm Team, Orchard Ohana (our fruit tree club!), Garden Club (for our front acre), TWO chicken care teams- one for our front acre friends and one for the field chickens, and Farm Share Packers.
Some other tasks may include: Propagating, seed saving, thinning, bagging and bottling bulk goods, shelling beans, shucking corn, painting, raking, composting, gleaning, research projects, watering, food preservation, cooking and recipe testing, bouquet-making, and MUCH MORE!
A FEW OTHER POINTS TO REMEMBER:
- At this time, we are only welcoming volunteers age 16 and older onto the farm.
- Always wear closed toed shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty at the farm!
- You must RSVP to attend a volunteer shift.